Hello all! It has been a while since I have been able to blog (working on a fabulous NEW product!!), but I was tagged by Tracee Orman (@mrsorman) on Twitter and have accepted his blogging challenge. You can read Tracee’s answers and random facts HERE. If you don’t know Tracee or her materials, you are in for a TREAT! Tracee is one of the best ELA content creators out there, and I LOVE her stuff! You can also find her clip art HERE and all things Hunger Games HERE. I have known Tracee (virtually) for several years now, and if I was still teaching, I am sure she would be my “go-to” for everything!
So, having accepted Tracee’s challenge, here are the rules:
1) Acknowledge the nominating blogger (check!)
2) Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3) Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4) List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
5) Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you).
Eleven random facts about me…
1. I am an introvert, and feel much more comfortable speaking in front of hundreds of people rather than just a few.
2. I was born and raised in So Cal…where I still live
3. I was recently challenged by my husband to find a hobby other than work (crazy, huh?), so I chose painting, which I have NEVER done. Turns out, however, I am actually pretty good (for an amateur). Here is my most recent… it is my first winter scene…the others I have done have been sunsets on water. (Apparently, I like painting water!)
4. I have a 5 year old daughter, who is in Transitional Kindergarten here in California. Basically, since she didn’t make the age cutoff, she is in a new two-year kinder program along with other kids who didn’t make the cutoff. She LOVES school and her teacher, and is excelling in everything, making me one proud Mama!
5. I majored in Acting. I have done Musical Theater all my life, but now I focus on my family and business. Basically, my degree has come in handy, as I act like I actually know what I am doing every day!
6. I have a Master’s degree in Education. I SWORE I would never be a teacher, since my mom was a teacher and I saw her struggles. However, life had a different idea. I became an English teacher, hoping to become a Drama teacher too. I never got the Drama gig, but actually enjoyed teaching English. In 2004, in my second year of teaching, I came up with the idea for Secondary Solutions Literature Guides. By 2005, I was in business.
7. Secondary Solutions and Elementary Solutions is a family business. I am the owner, my mom (who is a former elementary and middle school teacher and teacher of the year) is my right arm, now managing over 10 writers, in addition to formatters and editors. My brother in law is my Operations manager, who handles all the shipping and Marketing, and my sister takes care of all the books. Yep, there are only three of us working full time on this business!!! There is little sleep happening between us.
8. Wow…eleven random facts really IS hard!! (Tracee was right). If she counted this one, I can too, right?
9. I have had a ton of odd jobs throughout my life including a stint as a celery stalk for the LA County Fair, several waitressing jobs, singing gigs, an elf at a Christmas show, Mrs. Santa in another, cleaning apartments for the elderly, a bear crafting (making outfits for bears) business, a jewelry business, and more I can’t remember!
10. I am never satisfied with the status quo…I am always looking for more, better, faster, etc.
11. I am currently working on a TOP SECRET product for Common Core, and I am SOOOO excited about it! (Stay tuned!)
Whew…that was hard! Now on to the specific questions from Tracee…
Here are my 11 questions (and I’m doing the same…borrowing from Mike’s!):
1. Coke or Pepsi? DIET COKE
2. Favorite teaching tool? my laptop
3. What is the biggest change in education since you started teaching? the Common Core standards
4. In ten years, I’ll be… a millionare?!?!
5. Funniest thing said in your classroom? it’s been so long since I have been in the classroom, I can’t think of anything except one dirty story bwahahaha!
6. If you were not an educator, what profession would you have liked to pursue and why? I love where I am. I have always wanted to have my own business, and owning Secondary Solutions and Elementary Solutions is my dream. I never thought I would be creating materials for English teachers, however; I just knew I would be an entrepreneur.
7. What is the one place you would like to visit in the world that you haven’t been to? Europe. Absolutely.
8. Who has had the biggest influence on your professional life? My mom. She has been my biggest influence in everything in my life. She is my #1 fan and biggest Devil’s Advocate!
9. Favorite book? I would have to say The Hunger Games trilogy. I know, it is not some earth-shattering piece of literature, but I loved the entire journey. I am also a HUGE fan of Shakespeare!!!
10. What is one thing about yourself that most people would be surprised to learn? I am extremely introverted and have social anxiety.
11. If you won the lottery, what would you do with your winnings? Buy a bigger house, with someone to clean and cook meals!!
If you made it this far, hallelujah! Now it’s your turn!
I have to tag 11 fellow educators, so I’ve chosen:
4. Michelle Lundy (@MakingItTeacher)
ANYONE ELSE? I will try to add more later…
Thanks again, Tracee!